Thursday, December 16, 2010

WLS' Lise Dominique -- The Most Mellifluous Female Voice on Chicago Radio



Lise Dominique has the best voice of any female on Chicago radio today.

If you are asking yourself "Who the hell is that?" I don't blame you.

Let me preface this by saying, I am not related to Lise Dominique, I don't know Lise Dominique, I know no one who knows Lise Dominique -- nor do I ever care to meet her (more on that later.)

But she has the best female voice on Chicago radio.

I can say this with some authority.

I was a press secretary in Washington, D.C. for almost two decades and as such, have dealt with more media personalities than most will ever do.

Sometime, this passed summer, after coming home from the beach, I noticed that there was this new, different girl reading the news late night on WLS-AM (Chicago's second mega clear-channel radio station.)

She had the softest, most mellifluous voice. Soft, friendly -- kind of like the girl next door, but with a little bit of a crackly edge.

My mass media intake then, as now, was (aside from the web) mostly radio.

During the most productive times in my life I have eschewed television.

After my live-in girlfriend (with whom I regularly watched mindless TV) dumped me while an undergrad, I decided to become serious and eschewed television for the next 3 years.

I became editor-in-chief of our campus newspaper at one of the largest Universities in the country, simultaneously interned as a press secretary at the State Legislature and pulled almost a 4.0 GPA.

Later, while in a productive period in the Nation's Capitol, I never watched TV, save on those few occasions when my roomates, one of whom was from Manchester, UK and worked at the British Embassy and the other of whom was a liberal Republican whose father worked for the CIA -- wanted to watch either the MLB All-Star Game or a movie like "The Battle of Britain," or "Patton" where the US Armed Forces made the British look silly.

And at that time I continued to regularly get my media intake mostly from radio.

So I think I know a thing or two about it.

And this girl has the best voice of any that I have heard on the 6 or 7 or so of the Chicago stations to which I listen.

Her voice is intriguing -- but I don't want to meet her.

Let me tell you why.

While a press secretary in Washington, I would book various of our spokesmen on New York and Washington media outlets. One day, I booked Dr. Igor Glagolev, a former member of the Soviet Academy of Sciences -- who had defected to the USA -- on the Tony Brown Show in Washington. It was syndicated nationwide.

Tony Brown's aide seemed a very nice girl. She had the most wonderfully, mellifluous -- and thoroughly intriguing voice. She was flirting with me over the phone.

So I made a point of driving Dr. Glagolev out to the studio.

I met her.

Let me just suffice it to say that -- her superlative voice nonwithstanding -- she had a bodice to rival that of Mama Cass. She was definitely a candidate for Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating.


And -- not to be overly cruel -- she had a face that would have qualified her for Hills's Science Diet or Purina Pro-Plan commercials.


So that is why I do not want to meet Lise Dominique.

But I think her voice is the best on all of Chicago radio.

I hope WLS radio will advance her.

I'll probably come to rue this recommendation as she is likely a hopeless Left-Coast, Left-Wing statist.

But she has a great voice.

A really great voice.

2 comments:

  1. First off I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question that I'd like to ask if you don't
    mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts
    before writing. I have had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my
    thoughts out. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like
    the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted simply just trying to figure
    out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly speaking, I cycle down the Chicago bike paths and work the ideas out in my mind and then head back to the computer and churn them out on the page.

      I think the ancient Greeks called it "divine madness."

      Delete

Comments invited, however anonymous commentors had better deal directly with the issues raised and avoid ad hominem drivel. As for Teachers' Union seminar writers -- forget about it.