Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Goat Husbandry in Chicago's Jewish "Golden Ghetto"


I kinda figured that all was not well in the Obamaite utopia when I saw that Kraft cheese singles were now almost 5 bucks at my local grocery -- the "Kosher" Jewel-Osco at Howard and Kedzie in Evanston.

Urban goats being raised on Chicago's North side


But I hadn't realized that things were getting so bad that neighborhood Orthodox Jews -- a mere few blocks away -- now have to resort to raising goats and chickens in their back yards.

I am talking about the Lubavitcher Orthodox Jews at 2815 Birchwood, Chicago, who are now raising chickens and goats in their back yard,

I am totally not making this up. Just look at the photos I took (above left and below right.)

Now this is all happening in a quasi-suburban area of the very far North side of Chicago, the 50th Ward West Rogers Park, which abuts Evanston and Lincolnwood. There are million dollar homes in the neighborhood.

Now there are also goats and chickens.

As you might imagine, the neighbors are not thrilled by this new agrarian Orthodox Jewish fad.
... and Chickens too


Several have taken up a petition to their Orthodox Jewish Alderman, Deborah Silverstein, asking her to oust their new farmyard friends.

The principal objections seem to be:

1) a distinctively barnyard aroma permeating the neighborhood on warm days,

2 ) the constant high-pitched bleating of the goats, and,

3) the ear shattering morning wake-up cock-a-doodling of the rooster.

I'm sorry, but I have to come down on the side of the thrifty agrarian black-hatted Jews on this one.

With the price of milk and eggs skyrocketing during the Obama depression, what is wrong with providing for your family via a little American farm heritage self-dependence?

And really, is there anyone out there who doesn't enjoy a nice cup of steamy hot, unpasteurized , goat's milk on a cold Chicago winters night?

I, like Bertie Wooster, find it hard to start my day without the good old English bacon and eggs. But have you seen the price of Oscar Mayer's thick cut bacon lately? Almost 5 bucks!!

So I am definitely on the side of these self-dependent, Lubavitcher black-hatters.

And I am now announcing that I am thinking of raising pigs in the backyard of my 50th Ward, West Rogers Park domicile.

And if you hoity-toity Orthodox Jewish one-percenters in your million dollar homes don't like it ----

Well -- you shouldn't have voted for the Silversteins and their friend, Barack Obama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments invited, however anonymous commentors had better deal directly with the issues raised and avoid ad hominem drivel. As for Teachers' Union seminar writers -- forget about it.